1) Resources for Writing as a Righting Journey
Many of these articles and books are background for my work or help me in devising prompts for writing exercises.
ABSTRACTS & ONLINE ARTICLES
- The process of empowerment in mothers of chronically ill children.
- Cross-cultural study of mothers, and their stress when parenting children with chronic illness
- Love, Anger and Guilt: Coping With a Child’s Chronic Illness—New York Times, June 26, 2001
- Post-traumatic stress—the cathartic effect of writing.
- Evidence of the Healing Power of Expressive Writing—The Foundation for Art and Healing.
- More research on the need for, and options for, helping long term caregivers.
- Single Parenting & Children with Chronic Illness: An understudied phenomenon
OTHER ARTICLES & COPING SKILLS
- When Caregivers Need Healing—Catherine St. Louis, The New York Times, July 28, 2014
- How to Cope—I.G. Living, December/January 2010
- The Impact of Chronic Illness on the Family—I.G. Living, June/July 2012
- Finding the Words to Say It—Robert Carroll, Evidenced-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, April 2005
- Coping for Children at different ages & Family Coping Skills -article with lots of resource links too.
- The Healing Art—Rafael Campo, MD. Rafael has many books of poetry and essays on poetry and healing. He teaches at Harvard Medical School and uses poetry in his work with patients and medical students. This is one of my favorite books of his.
- Poetic Medicine—John Fox, The Institute for Poetic Medicine.
- Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives—Louise DeSalvo
- The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life—Joseph LeDoux
- The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief & Healing; edited by Kevin Young
- Poetry in Medicine: An Anthology of Poems About Doctors, Patients, Illness, and Healing; edited by Michael Salcman
- A bibliography that includes some of the above + more.
- More Resources
2) Evaluating Creative Modalities with Parents of Chronically Ill Children
Evaluation Form for Writing as a Righting Journey workshop (PDF)
- caregifted.org — information for long-term caregivers